04 May 2009

Pie for you, pie for me!

Sydney's getting crisper by the day and it's starting to feel like it did when we first got here. Which makes me realise we're ever closer to celebrating our first year upside-down and below the equator. We're preparing for the big family visit (in June, my mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, nephew and niece are all coming to Australia for about a month!!). I'm pretty excited to see everyone again, even though it might be weird to hang with my family for a whole month. I haven't done that since...high school or something. It's going to be a lot of fun seeing everyone-- and I look forward to re-introducing myself to the kiddies (hereafter referred to as "chickens" or perhaps "chooks"). It's been a long time since we've seen them, and I'm worried they don't know us anymore.

Anyway, the little chickens have a lot of allergies, so Craig and I have been researching food they can eat and trying out new recipes. We want to make sure the cute chooks are well-fed and in love with us again before they leave.

This Vegan Key Lime Pie isn't completely allergy-safe yet, but it was pretty delicious. We got the recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen, and the recipe made enough for one pie each!














On Saturday night, it rained and rained. The weather was nasty and the lightning was frightful. But we had a birthday party to attend for the lovely Portia. This picture is from a previous party, but she looks pretty much the same, just a few months more mature.





















It took a cab to Wynyard, taking a rail bus instead of the train because there was trackwork going on, crossing the Harbour and two umbrellas, but in the end, we made it to Lindfield and Portia's party still relatively dry. It was a wonderful time; Aaron supplied some thought-provoking conversation, as usual.

Craig woke up with a hangover on Sunday, because that's what happens when you drink half a bottle of red wine and a Hahn Super-Dry. Consider yourself warned.

If you want to hear what I've been up to on the radio show, check out the podcast. I've just contributed a piece to the Make-Believe show.

1 comment:

  1. SO WEIRD!! This morning on the way to work I was wondering if your family had visited. The next time you talk to them be sure to say "Allen thinks you guys are luck sons-of-bitches and should relish every moment you spend with *n & krg" (if I knew/remembered your auntie-uncle names, I'd allow those as well). I can't believe it's been almost a year without pancake genitalia, I mean...you guys. LOVE LOVE LOVE you/miss you. Even though I totally and completely suck as a friend with the not-calling not-writing not-visiting, but I really do tell Jason stories about y'all ALL THE TIME. I am so lucky to have so much of your old stuff as I do! (just picture Leila on one of your kitchen chairs and Roxanne jumping up on the purple table).

    And even though my secret password for this post is 'bitter', I am anything but. Hope you guys are having as awesome a time as you deserve!

    *UPDATE* just now Jason called and suprised me with tickets for the 30th anniversary of Spinal Tap - Unplugged at the FOX. Don't you guys worry too much about me, Jason is doing a great job in your stead. He never walks around in teeny cutoffs and no shirt though, so worries about competition there krg :)

    ReplyDelete